Outclass the Competition
by Harold Almon baesoe.com
Be at Ease School of Etiquette Austin
1. A serving fork is to be used in conjunction with a serving spoon to pick up a main course item. The fork is to be held in the left hand tines facing up. The tines are placed under the portion.
2. The serving spoon is to be held in the right hand bowl facing down rested on top of the item and kept there until it is placed onto the plate. When a serving dish is passed with toast beneath some food in a sauce, the toast is to be taken also. The serving spoon and fork are placed in the dish from which the food item was taken: fork tines up handle to the left, spoon placed bowl down over the tines, handles placed side by side.
3. A lone serving fork can be used to pick up a main course item. It is to be held in the right hand tines facing up resting between the thumb and the index finger and held by the thumb being rested approximately midway on the face of the handle. The fork is placed under the item, lifted, and steadied as the item is placed onto the plate. It is then placed tines up handle to the left on the dish or platter from which the item was taken.
In a commercial dining room, when you are given a meal, and you are (super sized) given too much, you can avoid the troth. You may ask for another plate and serve a portion to it. You could, where appropriate, eat half the dish, and take the other “To go.” Ask for a bag to go with that “To go” container: paper if given the option. Thank the server and, if allowed, leave a better tip.
A serving spoon may be used to pick up a side food item. It is to be held in the right hand bowl facing up, stem resting between the thumb and the index finger, and thumb resting midway the face of the handle.
1. A serving spoon is to be tipped away toward the center of the table, filled and leveled. It can be tipped again to allow any excess substance to return to the dish prior to the item being served to the plate.
2. The spoon is placed, bowl up, and handle to the left, in the bowl or dish from which the food item was taken. To do this, you may switch the spoon to your left hand.
3. A serving spoon could be used in conjunction with a serving fork to pick up a side course item. The spoon is to be held in the right hand bowl up and the serving fork in the left hand tines down. The fork is used to push pull a side course item onto the serving spoon and then is left in the dish tines down handle to the left.
The Frugal Third Course – The Main Course A Roti
Formally, the main course is to be a Roti (a roasted item) be it me fowl or vegetable. It can be Vegetable Tofu. Each may be served at table along with two vegetable items. Informally each could be served with a vegetable and maybe a starch item.
Lean cuts of cold roasted meats can be served: Each can be warmed prior to serving
Brisket obtained as part of a meal deal may be served. You could serve
Beef Hamburger (Frugal only with a coupon,)
Kolbe style roast beef in slices can be served with a mustard sauce and cheeses and crackers or crusted breads.
Beef Tri Tip or
English-grill or Casserole of lamb can be served.
Casually, non-roasted meat such as Bacon Bit topped Bar B-Que ribs, Pork Chops, may be provided as a main course. Lean cuts of pork could be provided
Lobster or for Vegetarians Tofu: (soft firm or dried.)
Should you decide to cook; most meats do better with a marinade.
Meat can be baked, broiled, grilled, microwaved, rotisseried, and seared, and served. Frugal is about must more than fried.
• Portion saturated fat 3 oz
• Servings Serving size
Meat suggestions for the Frugal are Herbed Rotisserie chicken prepared and cut in half or quarters at the Deli. Chicken can be served without skin.
It accommodates meal restrictions for most guests. It is not by accident that at so many dinners the Roti is a rubber - I mean roasted - chicken.
Poultry Dark Meats (Chicken, Goose, or Turkey, are the best or juiciest.) I gladly give the white meat parts to my guests. Although I must confess, occasionally I do miss the wings, but just the flat parts.
At home, with gloves, the white meat might be (pulled off the bone and) served whole or sliced and served with a gravy, or saved, chopped or diced and used in soups, to garnish salads, or informally to make sandwiches. Eight pieces of cooked, cut, and sliced chicken cost less than two burgers. And you can still grill the slices if you would like.
A bed of spinach with a Roti of chicken placed upon it and drizzled with Oliver Oil, Italian, or a dressing of choice can make an impressive course.
Other suggestions for a Roti are Turkey Thigh served whole, or leg served whole or sliced. Get it pre cooked. Ok for your guest you can get Turkey Breast. You can have it deli-sliced. It can be re-heated and served with a micro-wave made gravy. It may be crusted with crushed flavored croutons.
My Palate® Almon Hitt - Main Meat a Roti: Roasted Meat
Beef Grass Fed Lean Cuts*D
Beef 5-Step ™
Brisket Lean Hamburger
Burger w/ Coupon Beef Ribs
Lamb Tri Tip
Poultry-White Meat Skinless-MP
Chicken Air Chilled
Free Range, Kosher, Organic
Baked Dark Meat with Skin
Rotisserie Chicken + Dark Meat
Chicken Sandwich w/ Coupon
Chicken w/o Skin*D
Pork w/o Fat*D
My Palate® Almon Hitt - Main Meat a Roti: Roasted Meat Animal Protein
No by Products Feed
No Growth Hormones
Turkey Dark Meat
Not so frugal I tease you.
For each item you consume know the recommended
Serving Serving size
My Palate® Almon Hitt – Mock Meat Analogues Non Animal Protein
Egg Plant Cutlets
Tofu, Firm, Dried
Soy Vegetable Burgers
Each may be served reheated or not. Add reheated gravy. You only need two more slices than you are going to plate. Packaged gravy white or brown can be made in a microwave.
It has been said, so on a dare I say it, “eat lean meat” could mean you get to be a vegetarian or vegan, if you are diabetic.
Piccata can be made from any thickly sliced chicken, turkey, veal, or Seitan (wheat based) or Tempeh (soy based) meat substitutes if you are vegetarian or vegan. Each can be sliced, pounded, sautéed, and served with a sauce. This is added because you already have that white meat chicken. And other than the sautéing part the dish sounds nice. You can serve it on a bed or angel hair pasta or Ramen.
When you have money or your store has a special Guinea hen or a boned Rock Cornish hen could be selected as a Roti. Love it when these too are cooked in-store. A pre-baked vegetable item can be obtained and allow one to meet a meal restriction and provide a main course.
A Main course platter is to be brought in warm from the kitchen. Formally, each plate is filled as served at table.
A single-serving dinner Roti is to meet all the criteria for sensible diet: 300 calories or less, no more than 30 percent of calories from fat, 1,000 milligrams or fewer of sodium, 15 grams or more of protein, less than 100 milligrams of cholesterol. The sides are to be fewer than ____ calories.
Go to local deli, see what it is trying to sell you that you like and looks good, ask to taste it, ask what is in it, then go home and make it, unless there is a sale or you can buy it with a coupon. Red wine can be served with a red meat main course. It may be omitted.
Suggested condiments can be listed as a
Dressing: Italian Dressing can be used on meat or cooked with it: call it vinaigrette if you must.
Gravy: Brown gravy in a packaged mix can be mixed with water boiled in a microwave. Look at the instructions on a package of Pioneer brand gravy mix. Gravy can be thickened by adding a little instant potato to it. White gravy may be made and thickened the same way. It and a can of cream corn or the basics for corn chowder, but that would lead us back to soups (Thank you Patsy.)
Sauce: Mustard, Classic or Organic, a large dollop can be placed on a tray of deli meats along with crusted breads, as can Worcestershire or Jellies. Know what is in your sauce. It can make you fat. You can get and serve all sauces on the side. An herbal Hollandaise sauce," "with an apple and sausage dressing," or "with mushrooms and giblet gravy," may be within your budget and diet to make for celebrations.
Pepper and Salt Holders can be provided informally, one per table, one per 5 people, or formally in individual sets. Yes there are items called salt cellars with spoons and pepper pots. Both of the items use to cost a lot.